Thursday, June 23, 2011

Rep. Bill Flores on releasing strategic oil reserves



Got a robo-call yesterday afternoon from my Congressman, Bill Flores, R-District 17, Texas, a retired oil executive who beat the socks off his fellow Aggie, 10-term Democrat Chet Edwards.

He was taking a survey. He wanted me to answer with one word - yes or no - the question he asked. Do I now, or have I ever wanted to raise the nation's debt ceiling?

I answered by saying "You're not giving me enough information, Mr. Flores..."

I wanted to know first if I was getting the option of a balanced budget amendment to take spending pressure off the equation, but the robot kicked in and said, "If you cannot answer this question with yes, or no, this call will be terminated immediately..."

At that point, I said, "Okay, then, I can handle that. Toodle loo."

Went back to doing whatever I was doing when my phone rang.

Oh, I left something out. I did say soemthing else before I hung up, "Gee, it sure was nice getting to chat with you, sir..."

I think the robot phone mechanism had broken the connection by then, but, oh, well. You know, uh, like...Yeah.

Whatever.

I would also like to know if Congress can make the Federal Reserve Board of Governors stop authorizing increases in the money supply by authorizing the Treasury to print more Federal Reserve Notes. Does that go hand in hand with a plan to hold the debt ceiling at - well, you, know, uh, is it $14.3 trillion? Could that be right?

According to Article 1, Section 8 of the U.S. Constitution, Congress has the enumerated power to mint currency.

I would like to get more information on the ramifications of all this hoo-hah and what's it, you know.

But, you see, the phone call will be immediately terminated if you can't answer the question with a one-word answer of - like - yes, or no.

Is that my job? Couldn't anyone help me to better understand the true implications of the question?

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain, saith the Wizard of Oz.

I wonder if he was any kin to the Imperial Wizard of the - oh, what's the use?

No comments:

Post a Comment