Monday, December 5, 2011

I know your looks; I just don't know your name

Sometimes, no means no – no maybe or might do it to it, folks. N-O spells no

Tokio Store – Bucky Morris called the tune. From his seat near the wood stove, he arose to inspect the video cameras, said, “Man, those are some fine cameras, but I don't want my picture took, y'hear?”

I asked him if he intended to do some original material, and he said no. That's when I explained I can't broadcast anything but an artist's original stuff without running into problems.

“I just don't want no pictures taken of me,” he said. Then he relented. “Well, maybe when I'm playing.”

He did play and sing, following performances by Casey Kelley and a pickup band made up of two side cats who were smoking on the frets.

We're talking hot licks, cold steel and other truckers' favorites, if you take my meaning.

Mr. Morris sang “Hotel California” - and a few others.

A kid from Gholson wowed the crowd with original material he said he hasn't gotten around to submitting for copyright. It's a flamenco-accented fandango on steel strings. I explained to him that you can mark the copy with the copyright symbol and the year, mail it to yourself certified, return receipt requested, and it's deemed copyrighted at that point, may be submitted to the U.S. Copyright Office as part of a collection of songs later - and so forth. This was offered in the spirit of one who has conducted some considerable research into the subject, not to be considered legal advice, naturally.

He said he would check with his lawyer. So much for conventional wisdom. Bottom line. The kid requested no video.

According to Al Cinek, the owner, stories from “The Legendary” packed the house.

It was rockin', for sure.

The people had a really good time during a driving rain storm that will bring plenty to their pastures and a bountiful harvest to their fields.

Songs about cheating, drinking, fighting, murder, mayhem, drinking, driving and tears in the beer flowed through the rafters - and folks were happy.

Is that what counts?

Yes.

Film at eleven?

No. That's not what the patrons of Tokio Store want, at least, not the patrons who write and perform their own musical material.

The Legendary is as disappointed as Al Cinek, but right is right. No doubt.

Hey, who am I to argue? It's a speakeasy from way back. I'm a beer joint character from way back, too. You might say it's a cultural thing.

Live and let live.

Sorry I couldn't bring you the sounds, but, sometimes, no means no.

That's why I'm movin' to Montana, soon. Gonna be a dental floss tycoon.

- The Legendary

No comments:

Post a Comment