Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Mayor turns damper down after 'tacos' remark


East Haven, Connecticut
– The mayor of this city is jumping through hoops to say he's sorry over a remark he made following the FBI's arrest of four town cops for racial profiling Hispanics.

Asked how he would help support the Latino community in the wake of the controversy, he told TV reporter Mario Diaz, “I might have tacos.”

Along with other civil rights violations alleged by the government, business owners say that cops lurk outside their stores and restaurants and harass customers, seeking proof of their citizenship.

Amid the resulting furor, Connecticut Governor Dannel P. Malloy called the remark “repugnant” and “unacceptable.” Many called for Mayor Joseph Maturo's resignation.


Hizzoner said today, “My sincerest apologies go out to the East Haven community and, in particular, the Latino community for the insensitive and off-collar comment that I made to WPIX reporter Mario Diaz yesterday regarding the recent events affecting our community and our police department,” the statement said. “Unfortunately, I let the stress of the situation get the best of me and inflamed what is already a serious and unfortunate situation. I regret my insensitive comment and realize that it is my job to lead by example.“

There has been much litigation and street violence over the matter over the past years.

Journalists in the New Haven area said he did not return their phone calls following the release of his statement.

No comments:

Post a Comment